Platy - pregnant or SWD or something else? >>> HELP!

Nov 4, 2009
Hey,
I have a 4 gallon tank with 3 platys and 1 paradise fish with a sucking loach.
I returned a male paradise as i had asked for 2 females and i got a male, rather than getting a female paradise i got a 3rd female platy.

I bought her and did not get a choice i simply asked for a female.
I got her home and she was rather round and considerably longer and bigger than the others.

I was wondering if she was pregnant or if she has SWD or something else??
Please help??
If she is pregnant i can see her gravid spot.
Here is a picture to show you what i am on about,
Please help me ASAP!!
Thankks - HollieDahhrlinn x
[/IMG]

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I can see two problems here:

1. your tank cannot support any of those fish, especially in those numbers

2. you seem to have what looks like a chinese algae eater.

And to answer the question at hand, yea that female is very pregnant.

I really hope this tank is cycled...is this a big betta bowl btw? or a real fish tank? either way its a bit small.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Hey,
I have a 4 gallon tank with 3 platys and 1 paradise fish with a sucking loach.
I returned a male paradise as i had asked for 2 females and i got a male, rather than getting a female paradise i got a 3rd female platy.

I bought her and did not get a choice i simply asked for a female.
I got her home and she was rather round and considerably longer and bigger than the others.

I was wondering if she was pregnant or if she has SWD or something else??
Please help??
If she is pregnant i can see her gravid spot.
Here is a picture to show you what i am on about,
Please help me ASAP!!
Thankks - HollieDahhrlinn x
[/IMG]
Yes she is heavily pregnant. The black you can see in her belly is the babies eyes.
4 gallons is not big enough for any of your fish. WAY, WAY to small for paradise fish.
The sucking fish you have is a chinese algae eater. Get rid of him asap. In the beginners section of the forum read my recent thread on Chinese Algae Eaters. Bad news in the long run. But first you need a bigger tank!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
well your tank is definetly too small! and your female platy is almost definetly pregnant! and that "sucker loach" --it's a CAE: chinese algae eater. here's a link on him. Chinese algae eater, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish
well, i'd say get a bigger tank, lose the CAE and save your 4 gallon for the fry (baby fish).
good luck. oh and here, some more links
platy --> Platy, Xiphophorus Maculatus profile with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish
paradise fish --> Paradisefish, Macropodus opercularis Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

Oct 28, 2009
You got some good advice here. A 4 gallon tank isn't good for much except a Beta, or the Platy fry, but even those will outgrow it quickly. Best of luck to you.