Platy

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
Quick question. I have been searching info on platy and can't find my answer. Do platy's need salt in the aquarium like mollies do? My friend wants to put platy's with his molly fish but he wants to make sure they are ok together, and have the same water conditions. Thanks for your responses in advance.

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
If your talking about aquarium salt, no it doesn't matter. You don't even need to add aquarium salt to your tank. It is not harmful to any FW fish. Aquarium salt prevents diseases like ich. Sorry for the info but to answer your question, any fish can live with the addition of aquarium salt. All it does is make you water safer for the fish:)

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
Well, i have platies in my brackish tank (with the addition of SEA salt) and they do fine. Actually, about a week after I added salt, they had fry. I guess the addition of salt is supposed to trigger breeding in mollies, but maybe I would guess the same for platies. Other than that, platies really don't need salt in order to survive in the tank.

Nov 27, 2005
I'm the proud keeper of a sunburst platy, her 3 fry, and mollies. I add 1 tsp of salt per gallon to my molly/platy/guppy tank. I've had no deaths and platys seem to do fine w/the salt. They also are doing fine with the mollies. However, my male guppy seems to want to mate w/everything in there. Lol, even males of other species.

kristar1982 said:
I'm the proud keeper of a sunburst platy, her 3 fry, and mollies. I add 1 tsp of salt per gallon to my molly/platy/guppy tank. I've had no deaths and platys seem to do fine w/the salt. They also are doing fine with the mollies. However, my male guppy seems to want to mate w/everything in there. Lol, even males of other species.
do you mean marine salt, or aquarium salt?

plattygirl

Small Fish
Feb 27, 2006
Australia
I have to agree that plattys tend to do just fine without salt. So i dont tend to worry about adding it. Mollys and plattys will get along without any worries and make a lovely visual effect in a tank. I have found though that having too many males in a tank will lead to frustrated mollys (in this case) who will attempt to breed with anything in the tank. My poor little angels were being harassed! Good luck with your fish*DRUMMER*