PLEASE don't ignore this.. please?

Sep 23, 2006
I really just wanna know..

i put my Platy in the breeder net like iv'e heard to do..
she not eating her food, i know this cause the food form this morning is still in there.

How do i really know if shes pregnant? Belly is kinda suare but not really more rounded, yet big..her lips are all chaffed from fighting with the net, from stress i guess!

please help me out..

:rolleyes:

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
If i were you i would take her out of the net and let her have the bebies naturally, the stress could cause premature birth which would mean stillborn babies.
What other fish do you have in the tank?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Personally I hate breeder net and cages although the clear plastic ones with slot ain't too bad.Best thing is just a bunch of dense planting for the babies to hide in.
Stress can cause premature birth but is more likely to make her delay the birth.

Give it time and you'll get used to when the moment approaches.More likely though you'll look in one time and see she's alot smaller in the belly and there are young hiding in the plants or gravel.

Sep 10, 2006
Denver, CO
I watched my live bearers for a few pregnancies to watch for the labor behavior for that particular Mom. Once I knew what the behavior was, I was able to catch her about 15 minutes before she started giving birth. It is very stressful for them if they are not in labor. If they are in labor, they will be quite calm in the birthing cage. Good luck!

Steven

fishbrain

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Central NY, USA
www.geocities.com
Igor The Cat said:
wow, you guys much love your platies....i just let them give birth in the main tank, and HOPE that most if not all of the babies die....otherwise you end up with hundreds od platie mutts that you cant get rid of.

cheers

-Java
Not that I don't kinda understand (having hundreds of fry & knowing what to do with them can be a hassle) & NOT to start a fight or anything But why have Platies then? I'm not personally a livebearer guy myself (not that I don't like a few babies now & then) because of the constant fry.