PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
In my 29G SW the fish are loosing their fins and are turning white. It almost looks like ick but yet its looks different. I dont know what it is. I dont want to loose my fish they are great. Or my corals for that matter. What do I do??? Someone please help me soon!!!!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
The tank has been set up now for a month. I do water changes and keep that stuff up. I have coral too. I have a heater, a protien skimmer, I have a whisper 60 for current, and a powerhead. My water parameters are as follows:
Nitrate- ~10
Nitrites- 0
Alkalinity- ~300
pH- ~8
Salinity- 1.023
Temp- 83 degrees F
The weird this is it was just the fish that died. Everything else is still doing fine and showing no signs of anything.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Hi Guppy. I'm sorry about your fish. I have a nano reef, but I've never had a S/W fish disease strike, but I'll try to help...

Do you have a quarantine tank? If so, move your fish in there right away. If some of them are not yet afflicted with the disease, keep a very close eye on them and if they show the slightest symptoms, move them into the tank too.

I'm afraid to try to diagnose as I haven't experienced this, but it sounds like it may be marine ich. Let me direct you to a couple threads on the matter...

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27808
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

If it is indeed ich, then it will not jump to your corals. However, your display system will need to be fish free for quite some time, 3 weeks to a month. The ich cysts are like freshwater in this matter as they will die without a vertebrate (fish) host. Ich meds for saltwater will kill corals and other inverts, and they will also wipe out your good bacteria in the live rock.

I wish I could help more...

Last edited:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
The tank was running in my 12G before and I just tranfered everything over to a larger tank. (Then I decided to still use the 12G) If you look at my sig. you will see the rest of what is in my tank. I do have live rock, ~29 lbs. For corals I have Alveopora, Zoanthids, Montipora, Frogspawn, Cynaria Brain, Feather Dusters, 2 Kenya Trees, and Blue Mushrooms. All of that is thriving.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I wouldnt start with damsels, just leave the tank empty for a good month, because were not really sure what it was, and a month should be enough time for what ever it is to die. Then maybe use your 12 gallon as a QT and keep fish in it during the month that your main display is empty, although was the problem in your 29? it doesnt look like you had any fish in there.
good luck
Brahm

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sounds like to me like either amyloodinium or brooklynosis, have a dig round the web for pictures. Either way I wouldn't put any fish in that tank for a few months. The cures for these nasties are copper and formalin.... both distinctly invert unfriendly.