please help me !! im new to this

May 28, 2006
well last night i had 4 neon tetras 2 barbs and some sort of frog. not sure on the species. im now down to one neon and he just hides under the rocks. please help me determine what killed my fish.
thanks.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
The ammonia is probably the problem. And you tank hasnt cycled yet.

You need to do a big water change as soon as possible (about 50%)
Chemicals wont do much its the water changes that help.

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
make sure to use a good dechlorinator. Also, since your fish are in there taking the brunt of the cycle, and your fish include neons (very susceptible to poor water conditions) the losses are going to happen. To fight this, like Helena said, start with the water changes, and keep this up until your ammonia and nitrite levels are down to 0. Most chemicals like cycle and the like aren't useful, and the only real thing you'll need to be adding to your water is the dechlorinator. Right now the main thing your going to need to do is the water changes every couple of days to combat the ammonia spikes until your filter media has enough beneficial bacteria to remove the ammonia on it's own at a safe rate (cycled).

May 28, 2006
thank you for the help. no bodies were found and the frog is out of the tank now. im gonna try to start changing the water anyway since it is a newly established tank. i greatly appreciate the quick replies.