Please help - moving

Feb 27, 2009
If I were moving it:

I'd put fish into a bucket 1/2 full of the tank water.

I'd put the shrimp in a seperate bucket 1/2 full of tank water with something they can hang onto (plant (real or fake), nothing heavy like a rock that could crush them when moving the bucket).

Both of these buckets would be kept covered with a dark towel to prevent jumping and keep them in the dark (less stress that way).

I'd put the filter's media into a 3rd bucket and cover it so that its 1inch deep in water.

I'd drain the tank down so that the gravel is just barely covered with water, discarding this water.

Two people to move the tank, and preferably on a flat surface (I'd use a piece of plywood).

Set up tank at new location and get filter running again. Wait for water to clear up, then slowly drip acclimate fish and shrimp for an hour, filling their buckets up to the 3/4 mark.

Add fish/shrimp with lights out, and leave lights out until the next day.

OC

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
if you wanted to add air pumps, some pet stores or bait stores sell bucket mounted battery powered air pumps so that you can keep air flowing in case you hit traffic or whatnot.

I used to use 2 of them to transport batched of convicts to a store 40 minutes away, and to transport larger fish I would wheel and deal off of craigslist.

Dec 14, 2009
England
when i moved i was given a large polystyrene box with lid and i bagged my fish up in to about 5 different bags and placed them in the box for darkness (less stress) and it kept heat in. but i moved about an 1h30m away so this was what a local aquarium recomended to me. all the fish survived and are still thriving today :)

Feb 27, 2009
I moved 18 hours drive away over two days driving with no losses. Three planted tanks and a reef. Lots of work! Thought I'd squished a brittle star but it regenerated into 3 stars after a few months of hiding.