PLEASE HELP QUICK!

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
Newly purchased cardinal tetra, swimming eratically, upside down, into the glass and into the sand. its a sad sight, like hes so confused, whats the matter with him? slamming into other fish now... :-( please help!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Sorry you lost the fish. Your 10 gallon is way overstocked, those poor fish must be tripping over each other since most of them share the same space....

Have you tested your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Wow, your tank is really overstocked. My guess is water poisoning. What were you doing with 1 cardinal? They are schooling fish and need groups to survive. You really need to do some research on appropriate living conditions for the fish you have in there and invest in a test kit.

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
i have a test kit, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all 0, ph is 6.5.
i also know the tank is overstocked, i had 4 cardinals in my 5g tank but three were too small when i got them from the pet store and died within days, so i moved the last one to my bigger tank. also, everyone including the dojo is small and i have 15g of filter in a 10g tank.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
How old is this tank? You should have traceable nitrate readings if this is an established tank.

Even with "15 gallons of filtration" that's seriously overstocked. You have way more than 15 gallons of fish there, most of them are bottomdwellers and they need more than a 10 with a suitably sized filter can provide (a "15 gallon" filter, in most cases, is only just suitable for a 10). I would strongly advise you to keep an eye out for a tank with a larger footprint ("longs" or "breeders") and do some research into what conditions they really thrive in (water movement, high o2 content..... for the loaches/plec) if you enjoy these sorts of fish. :)

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
sori to hear about the death,but i think you bought an unstable fish frm your lfs.you should ask them how long they've been keeping them.anyway they shldnt be only in 1 and in a 5g tank,they will stress to death.u need at least 10g tanks and about 6 of them to be safer.