PLEASE HELP!!! Regardin poop of fish....... pleeeeease HELP ME

Nov 5, 2009
my tank is 2 weeks old and i have put some koi carps, kissing guramis, gold fish, and tetras and etc... today i bought a big size carp since my tank is 4ft long an 1.5feet wide... today i noticed alot of fish poop in the water and i know it can cause ammonia to incrase and wud eventually give the white spot disease.... please advice me as to what should i do... i made a filterin system by my self using my oxygen regulator since it was nt being used... with that i run a power head with a sponge filterin system... but i still see poop floatin in water... ive purposely put some tiny tank snails assumin they wud eat the poop... i have 2 scavengers but still the fish poop is there... i heard if there are enough bacteria to kill ammonia it would be ok... but how do i know... i dont have a test kit... is there any house hold contraption which i can make to increase the N2O cycle in the tank........ please im new to lookin after fish... i realy love to make the ebst environment for my fish..... please help me out... my tank has only one plant... is it required to supply CO2 also??? please advice me... i dont want my fish to live in an uneasy environment :(

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
its safe to say a 4 ft tank cant support all that stuff in there. tetras and koi? those dont mix well cuz of temp requirements. KOI need a POND, anything less would be torture to them. the goldfish sound like they could live in something that big, but please provide a gallon rating, and what shape the tank is? give all the dimentions even if its just rectangular.

Did you FULLY cycle the tank for about a month before adding all the fish in there? other than patience and adding ammonia to the tank during fishless cycling, there is no other homemade contraption that will work. somehow i dont think youve cycled the tank because you said that you dont have any test kits to test the water...if you REALLY care for your fish, you should get a kit. that way you will know what (if anything) is wrong with your water, and try to fix it yourself.

As a first step i would lower the fish load. the Koi shouldnt really be there for starters.

Nov 5, 2009
i just got it checkd an its not Koi :S .... i called the shop and they sed its the typical carps... wt a ****head am i... i asked from the shop which i bought the fish and they told the carps they have was brought up in tanks for their whole life and their tanks were just half the soze of mine ... my one is just rectangular... now its been around 2-3 weeks... i was thinking of doin a 25% water change..

Nov 5, 2009
isnt there any way that i can help the N2O cycle?? by adding stuff... like a strong light... or what... i have only one plant... i hope i dont have to add any extra CO2.... im just a person who loves fish n was busy with my studies all the time... now only trying to learn..

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
depending on what plant it is, no you dont need CO2. try to ID what plant it is first.

You have to cycle the tank. it takes more than 3 weeks. I realize you must know of the NO2 cycle since youve been asking about it.
1. Find MissFishy on this website.
2. look in her sig for a link
3. follow the cycling tank guide on that site.

Dont expect some of your fish to survive the cycle. the goldfish might die. the carp a hardier...assuming you actually have wild carp and not koi. lemme see what you have:

You have a carp if they look like this:http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/AquaticNuisance/ANSPics/CommonCarp2.jpg

You have a Koi if they look like this: http://www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/image_gallery/data/media/87/Koi_carp_2_jpg.jpg

O and the petstore could be LYING *DRUMMER* They want a sale no matter what. they ignore a good amount of business ethics.

Tetra need warm temp (76F) carp and goldfish need cold temp (65-68F) If carp/ koi/ goldfish are kept in warmer water they can get sick, especially with ich. If tetra are kept in cold water they will...die.

Also it would really help if you posted a pic of your tank with the fishin it, and also a pic of the "carps"

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol, no problem, but be warned as not all of my advice may be accurate. its based only on what ive experienced and learned. see what others think about this situation as well :)