please help...total newbie needs tank advice...

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
high y'all...first mail here...really chuffed to be in the tank me is...
as i'm a complete newbie i have a major first question...
wot size of tank... ???

i can fit a rio 125 or 180 in the space i've got...
now i can hear you all chanting in harmony...'bigger is better'... :)
and i can see the logic and appeal of this...oh yes...

but the 180 is a 40 galleon dude...and i guess will weigh around 30 stone...
yikez...i worry that as the tank has to go on a kitchen work-surface...
it may be waaaaaaaaaaay too heavy...

i have installed legs under the fairly heavy duty worktop...
but as a dishwasher is directly below the tank area...
it leaves a 'gap' of unsupported surface of 2feet 3inches...

i have battons on all edges where the worktop touches the walls...
and they have 'straps' going down to the skirting board...
so i've done as much as i can...
[without stripping the whole room to insert a steel plate...
and i have considered this...sorta...:)]

so in light of all this confusiling info...whattdya fink...
go 125...or max out at 180...

please drop me a line...i'm getting a tank on saturday...
my first ever...and i'm excited...looking forward to a fishless cycle...
and then building a funky community of super-cool fish-bods...

thanks in advance...i really could do with some help...
chears...simon... :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Is the 125 a 125 liter tank? That would still weigh around 18 stone (by the way, only the UK uses stone as a measurement, so it can get confusing. It would be better to refer to the weight in kilos or pounds so people can work it out:) )

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Lotus said:
Is the 125 a 125 liter tank? That would still weigh around 18 stone (by the way, only the UK uses stone as a measurement, so it can get confusing. It would be better to refer to the weight in kilos or pounds so people can work it out:) )
yes indeed lotus...125 liter...and 180 liter tanks are my options...
and as you say...18 stone [114kilo..252lbs(uk)] for the 125L TANK...
and 40 stone [254kilo...560lbs(uk)]
quite a difference in the two...
wotz your view on which one to go for...

love your sig. by the way...

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
The best solution to a weight problem is to brace the stressed area from below. The materials will be much cheaper than a steel plate and eaiser to install. I bought 2 floor jacks for my waterbed (the house I'm in is kinda old) and they cost about $14. If the tank is going to be on the second floor you will need more materials. It is important to brace all the way to the foundation to prevent a future collapse. A 40 gal would be alright if it's next to a wall that has foundation under it, but if it's in the middle of the room it should be braced.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Welcome to the tank, sounds like you've been doing research thats great.

Yep, I think a lot of us are in agreement that the bigger the tank you can start with the better. Of course if your space can't handle the larger weight its probably not a good idea, BUT I think countertop is pretty sturdy usually and it sounds like you've done some reinforcing on it.

Why isn't there a size in between the two you've chosen?? Something right in the middle I'd think would be great... I guess if it was me I'd probably err on the side of caution and go with the smaller tank. Large tanks usually do well on their own stands, something that has been built to distribute the weight evenly etc.

Good luck, let us know what you go with :)

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
hey guys...thanks for the words...

scubadude...the location is ground floor...against a wall...in a timber framed house...i have two sturdy legs on one side...and a wooden frame on the other...it's as braced as i can get it...thanks for the 'jack' idea...sadly i cannot use it...

yo froggyfox...real glad to be here...oh yes... :)

i inherited a pleco [3.5inch] and two botia striata (zebra loaches)[2inch] a week ago...there are in a krappy tank at the moment[3gallon max]...i've been whizzing around the 'net like a puffa-fish possesed for the last lotta days to learn the art of fish-keeping...

this site has been great...so i now have a kinda clue as to what to do and when to do it...

the tank question is important to me as this will be my ONLY tank...i have one shot at this...and i want to get it right...

i hear what you're saying...and caution is a good idea...
thing is i have 'beefed up' the worktop with 3x2 wooden legs...and some thin steel plates...i might work out a way to run some 1 inch angle iron across the underneath which would be a great job...and make me less worried about collapse...

i intend to 'over-engineer' this as much as possible...
really put in as much bracing as i can...
as i'd really like the bigger tank...

as far as i can make out the rule seems to be...
more water...happier fish...
[i'm getting to grips with... 'ammonia...nitrite...nitrate.'..]

so...i'll keep pondering...and on saturday i'll be buying me tank...
i'll call back here again on monday and keep you informed...
[i'd like to know if the fish i have in mind are suitable too...:)]

chears dude...thanx for your help...simon... :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
A collapse would be terrible...yes. However...I think what I'd be more worried about is that glass tanks need to be level. If they're not level then the pressure distribution will change and the possibility of glass cracking or a seal breaking is much higher. A total bust would suck...but if a seal breaks it has the same result...a soggy kitchen :) I'd be more worried about the countertop warping/bending under pressure, and if you can feel relatively confident that that wont happen, and relatively confident that it wont just be SO much weight and completely break...then you're probably ok with the larger tank. I'd just hate to tell you that you're good to go and be wrong.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
FroggyFox said:
I'd be more worried about the countertop warping/bending under pressure, and if you can feel relatively confident that that wont happen, and relatively confident that it wont just be SO much weight and completely break...then you're probably ok with the larger tank. I'd just hate to tell you that you're good to go and be wrong.
gotcha dude...just had a thought tho...
what about a steel plate ON TOP of the counter...
and place the tank on that...
more weight i know...
but it would sort out the level/cracking worry... :)

gotta scoot...off-line now...back tomorrow...seeya and thanx...simon... :)

Last edited: