Please Help!!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Does anyone use those vitamins in their SW tanks? I am asking so I know if I need to put any of that sort of stuff in mine. I dont want to do it if it is unneccessary. Also how long does it take for stuff to open up? I have 2 Kenya Trees (which are open but not fully), a small bunch of Star Polyps (which are not ope at all) and a rock of Blue Mushrooms (only a few of the at least 12 have opened) Or is there something that I am not doing? Please help!?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
What are your water params ? Check 'em all and post it. How old is your tank ? What filtration/lighting do you have. When did you add your corals. Don't add stuff like vitamines if you didn't check your params. Anyways with the light livetock you have you can rely on the salt mix of your water changes for vits and other trace elements.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Nitrates: about 15 ppm
Nitrites:0 ppm
KH: just over 300 ppm
pH: about 8.2
(I say about cause I use the test srtips)

Salinity: 38 ppt
Specific Gravity: 1028

I know that is a little high but I was told that it isnt something to worry about by my LFS (we'll see how right they are). The corals and rock have been in the tank for 4 days. and the tank has been up for a while now. I fish were in first; cause I wasnt going to do live rock and coral. (I was trying to do it in secret and see if I could do it on my own. And I could for a while! :))

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
O I forgot:

I have a Reef Sun 50/50 light one there now. Right now I have a Whisper 10 on there cause with the fish it was ok and right now no one has any protien skimmers. I am waiting on a shipment. There is also a small 5-10G powerhead.

I didnt mix my own water. I bought sand and the boxed ocean water.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
EVERYTHING IS OPENING!!!!!
I looked at the tank this morning when I tested it and not much was different. I did some laundry and went to the store and came back and EVERYTHING IS OPENING UP!!!! I cant wait till it all does. Was it all just settling in?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
woah man test strips...i used mardel ones and they sucked big time. 15 ppm of nitrates is not too dangerous . Boy your salinity is quite high. This is the salinity of the red sea...and your KH is high too. I maintain my salinity at 1.024-1.025 'cause i have corals and i think that's a little bit high.
Well that's a good sign if your stuff opens up