Please Help

Oct 19, 2006
My fish just died, and I think its partly due to my filtration system. I have a Whisper, but the water flow extremely slow....is this a problem? Any suggestions?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Can you give a little more info? It might help to describe your tank a little. How many gallons, what kind of fish, have you tested your water? If so what are the readings? How long has the tank been set up?

Welcome to MFT :)

Oct 19, 2006
It was a starter aquarium that came with everything including the whisper. Its 10 gal, but its fresh water. I never took readings because it was a freshwater tank with goldfish, and I read that I didn't need to. I've had all 4 fish and the aquarium for about 5months.

Nannan03 said:
It was a starter aquarium that came with everything including the whisper. Its 10 gal, but its fresh water. I never took readings because it was a freshwater tank with goldfish, and I read that I didn't need to. I've had all 4 fish and the aquarium for about 5months.
Let me just tell you that I been there with having 4 or 5 goldfish in a 10g. Take them back to the store and get a heater and do a tropical community. Yes you need to check the water even with goldfish. Whoever told you that was lying to you. If you plan on keeping all four goldfish I suggest you get a at least a 50g tank. Also how many died? All or a couple?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
With that many messy fish in a 10G the filtration is probably a big part of the issue. I would take a bucket with clean warm (not hot, not cold) dechlorinated water, take your filter cartridge out of the whisper filter and rinse it off...swish it around squeeze some of the gunk off so that water can more easily go through the cartridge.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
First of all...goldfish are extremely messy fish. That's why most people recommend keeping them in very large tanks. Your ten gallon isn't even big enough to adequately house 1 goldfish, let alone 4! Your fish probably died of water poisoning if you haven't been doing regular water changes. Second, goldfish are just as sensitive to water conditions as other fish. So whomever told you you didn't "need" to test the water was full of crap. Come here for your advice.

What you need to do:
If you plan on keeping all of these fish in your 10 gallon tank, you really need to be doing 25% water changes DAILY (treating the water of course), and you also need to get MORE filtration (another filter). Lots more than recommended for a 10 gallon tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I'm wrong about what? Goldfish can be relatively hardy(feeder goldfish usually aren't), but are still subject to ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning. Especially if they are overcrowded. Yes, a goldfish will withstand tropical water temps, but its life span will be greatly shortened. I'm not really a goldfish fan, but I believe they need temps 65-72? I'm sure someone else can give a more specific range. Anyways, they like cooler water and usually don't need heaters.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
xtr1gunf00lx said:
miss fish.i think your wrong. goldfishes are strong .. hrm yeah strong fishes.. they can withstand cold and warm water.. well any temp i think. and some fish require different types of water pH level i think :p
Withstand is an interesting choice of words....

Single tailed goldfish can typically handle cool water handily if properly acclimated -- many of them are kept in ponds and overwinter in their ponds under the ice. Fancier types of goldfish can handle some cold but some get "the floaties" if they get too cold.

Again, depending on variety, maintenence and source, goldfish can be quite hardy or very sensitive. That said, as a good fish keeper, the ideal is to always strive to do one's best by the fish in one's care rather than see to what extremes one's fish can withstand.... xtr1, why did you change your name? Perhaps it would be better if you gave advice on things you were better versed in? *crazysmil

Unfortunately for the original poster, they were led astray as to goldfish demands. What sort of goldfish do you have? :)