Please identify this algae

paige

Medium Fish
Jun 26, 2006
Burleson, TX
Nope. I got some shrimp last night. They were sold at "feeders"...10/$1.70. I've identified them as red-nosed shrimp...due to their enormous red noses...but I'm not sure if they're algae eaters.

paige

Medium Fish
Jun 26, 2006
Burleson, TX
I like a little on the rock...but it's like day-glo green. I just did my water change and scrubbed most of it off. Now it's just left with a green tint. It is in my 46. I had a farlowella that died...I think I'd like to get another one if I can find one. The tank is a bit more established now so I think it'll do better.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I must step in and say the solution to algae is not always an "algae eater". Especially when fish are not garunteed to eat algae. Some people swear by ottos....when i had them i never saw them touch the algae. Some people have observed Bristle nose plecos eating green algae, while i have only ever seen them eat brown. It can go either way and is not garunteed.

Find the problem in your water, don't cram (reguardless of stock) more fish in a tank thinking your algae will disappear.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
It looks like a regular green algae to me. Is it easy to remove? If not it could be some green spot algae on the ornament.

I agree that an algae eater isn't the problem solver. I'd try to figure out what is causing the algae and fix the problem.

How much light is over the tank? Do you have live plants? How often do you do water changes and how much? Does the tank get any direct sunlight?

paige

Medium Fish
Jun 26, 2006
Burleson, TX
It's very easy to remove. I think it's cause by too much light in an unplanted tank. I have 2wpg. I might add some live plants to help control it.

I change the water once every week or two. But it's only 11 danios in a 46g, so the nitrates never get above 10...and that's almost all from the tap water I use.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Sounds like some green slime algae. And you are right...probably the higher light and no plants. I'd add some fast growing stem plants like Hygro, Bacopa, Anacharis, and Wisteria. They will use up the nutrients and outcompete the algae.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Well, if you have NO algae eaters, then you definitely need some, as most aquarists do. I always have a few (and a few different kinds) in my tanks whenever possible.