Pleco floating upside down

Jun 21, 2005
I have about a 3" pleco in a 10 gallon tank. He (or she) is normally pretty active, being a good vacuum cleaner for the tank. Today he is floating upside down in the top corner of the tank. He is still breathing, but he doesn't move when I approach him, only if I touch him. What's wrong with him? Can I do something to help? The tank gets a 30-40% water change weekly.

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
It could have a swim bladder disorder of some kind, or it might not be getting enough oxygen for some reason. What do you have for filtering and/or aeration? Do you use a dechlorinator when you change your water? How long has the tank been running? Is this your first tank?

Jun 21, 2005
This is my first tank, but it's been running for over a year. I'm not adding any CO2. I have a power filter with bag cartridges. I do use a dechlorinator for the new water.
My pleco just seems weak. Is that possible? Maybe he hasn't been getting enough food because the other fish in the tank (tiger barbs and red-eye tetras) are little piggies. I don't know how I could solve that problem. Should I try feeding him more at night?

erickles

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
My Pleco became much happier once I had added some wood for caves to hide and shelter in, and also he loves sucking on steamed zuchinni (don't make it too mushy). Maybe he's tired watching all those fiesty tiger barbs above him? Now that he's floating I would keep an eye on him so he's not victimised.

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
eh- mine does that too once in a while. i touched his belly the first time he did it because i thought he was dead and he swam away. he is perfectly healthy as far as i know though. im not sure it's much of a problem, but it's always good to ask around.

Jun 21, 2005
Thanks for your replies. Today he's on the bottom of the tank looking normal, so maybe you're right, adagiolove. I'll have to try some zuchinni and wood also. Thanks for the advice.