pleco growth rate

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Do you have a Common Pleco? What size tank is it in? What do you feed it?

If so, I believe it really depends on the plec itself. I've heard of them growing anywhere from 2-6+ inches in a year's time. I got mine when he was about 3-3.5 inches long last July and now he's at exactly 5 inches. It varies for each fish, along with what you feed them. And despite a rather common belief, they don't "grow to the tank".

Mar 1, 2006
chicago, il
my pleco was about 3.5 inches when i bought him and now he is about 5 inches long. hes in a 10 gallon tank with 4 black tetras and 3 blue danios and hes grown quiet a bit.. had him a little over 2 months now and hes grown about 1.5 inch long and the body has gotten quite thicker as well, i plan to take him back to my lfs in about a month .. he eats 1 algae waffer every other day and he also eats a piece of lettuce 2 times a week also some 2 shrimp pellets(i put it in a cup w/water and let it soak) i do that once a week sometimes twice..but everybody in the tank eat the pellets

Sep 16, 2005
i don't know about the smallest pl*c in existence, but as far as the species that are very common in the aquarium trade....

clown pl*co (3" according to most sources)

bristlenose pl*co (5-6")

rubberlip pl*co (also called bulldog, rubber-nose. despite what the info cards at petsmart say, this is a dwarf species which should top out around 6")

there are plenty of other uncommon and/or dwarf species available as well, but buying them is often an expensive venture.