Pleco question

bubblecandy

Medium Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Boston
I want to feed my Plec something special just for him but my cichlids go into kill mode and eat every in sight... so, I heard that cucumbers were good but it just floats and of course here they come. Is it safe to assume that there will be bits of left over food that my plec will eventually get to enjoy some of the good life too.

what you wanna do to the cucumber is blanch it first which means boil it a little and it sinks. I used cucumber the other day and it wasn't that popular in my 20g tank full of algae eaters (including a bristlenose pleco) but when i use zuchinni everyone is around it :) even my pleco so you could probably try both to see which one your pleco likes. oh have you ever tried algae wafers? plecos love algae wafers too, do your cichlids eat the cucmber when you put in the the tank? good luck :)

bubblecandy

Medium Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Boston
I do feed algae waffers but I have to turn the lights out and wait for my fishies to calm down and drop the waffer in inconspicuously which half the time doesn't work. I have better luck when I brake it into halves or thirds. My cichlids have been been eating everything that I introduce to the tank including my hand *twirlysmi

Mushroom, do you blanch your veggies before sinking them? My cichlids did eat the cucumber raw but I don't know if the plec will.

My poor little pleco left to eat scraps that float into his shipwrecked home. :(