PLECOS

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
I know others may have asked this question recently but I wanted to get more direct info. I really would like to get a pleco or two for my 16 gallon tank. It presently houses 5 Rummy Nose Tetras, 6 Glowlight Tetras, 12 Cardinal Tetras, 1 Guppy, and 4 Corydoras Catfish. It's a bit of a heavy load but I am hoping to try and rid the tank of its algae (too much). Eventually, in another 6 weeks or so, the plan is to move the Pleco(s) to our much bigger tank.

What kind of algae eating Pleco will meet the following criteria: (1) won't outgrow the tanks (2) won't attack / eat other community fish (3) will do a really good algae cleaning job?

Any ideas? I see that the Zebra Plecos appear much smaller than most but are they suitable for our tanks?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
No offense bigdaddy, just a small correction in your statement. Zebras are not rare at all. They are no longer allowed to be exported. Even still the supply of captive bred ones far exceeds what I would call rare. Any one wanting a zebra can find one, it's just a matter of do you have the $. The price for them is based totally on popularity so supply and demand dictates the cost.

For the original poster...Zebras will not touch your algae, they are meat eaters and could care less about any veggie let alone algae.

Depending on how big your "bigger tank" is I would recommend getting a young bristle nose. He will surly take care of your algae, but will need a bigger tank as he gets older.

If you want a plec that can live in there long term get an LDA08 BN they max out at less than 3 inches. As far as rare goes, these are harder to find than zebras, but only run about 30 bucks for 6 1 inch fry. And yes you can find them on aquabid. That's where I got mine.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/ancistru/152_F.PHP

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
Zebra plecos are rare to find at the pet stores I go too, and I go to 4 differnt pet stores. Always wanted one but never could find one. But then again now i won't have room for one. A Bristlenose pleco will probably work in your tank.
They do stay small, only about 3-4 inches.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
You want a Bristlenose Pleco. If you can find one, a Dwarf Bristlenose Pleco. BNs will grow to about 3" (dwarfs slightly smaller) and are arguably the hardest working (for cleaning) of all the plecos. You should still drop in some sinking food like algae disks, or use cucumber/zuccini once in a while though - as they like to eat more than just the algae on your tank.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Actually I would not keep a rubber nose long term in a 15 either. Sure he will fit, but the amount of waste he will produce at 4 inches, will fill up what biofilter you can have on this tank. Plecs are messy.

But he would be a good addition that could be moved from the large tank into the 15 for cleaning purposes when needed.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
I have 3 BN plecs, and I can attest to the fact that they work their little hinnies off...I tend to have alot of brown algea and they have all but rid my tanks of it completely! Plus, they are such cute little buggers!:)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
TLM is right, but also know that they don't do much in the way of other forms of algae. IE, they don't touch hair, beard or spot agea. The 150 or so BN plecos I have can all attest to this.

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Our big tank is 48 gallons. Thanks for the info. on Bristlenoses. I want to be sure we don't adopt a monster for our tanks! Are Bristlenoses good for community tanks with other small fish (ie) lampeyes, platties, guppies, etc...?

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
We just returned home from one of the biggest tropical fish shops in Tokyo. They seem to have quite a few different species of Plecos, however, no Bristlenoses. Tiger Plecos and some types of Clown Plecos and many others. There was a huge variety of prices and sizes as well.

We opted to get 3 freshwater shrimp that are supposedly algae eaters.

Anyway, what would you recommend? Should we try to buy a Bristlenose on the internet? Or are there any other types of Plecos that you could recommend?