Plumbing with a canister filter

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I wanted to use some PVC to "hard plumb" my new 55G. Instead of using the tubing I wanted to connect 1/2" PVC for the intake and spray bar.

My problem is how do I hook that up to a canister filter? I have a magnum 350 and I believe that it is a 5/8" lip.

Does anyone know of any tutorials?

I'm not a plumber, in fact this will be my first time using PVC other than to smoke something *twirlysmi so the more details, the better.

A couple questions I have off the bat:

- What do I use to connect the PVC, do I use the normal stuff they sell at home depot, or do I use silicone based?

- I planned on using a sump, but I was also thinking about keeping it as a refilling station underneath the tank so I can age water there. Its going to be a discus tank so I do a lot of water changes, and my wife would love it if I could eliminate the bucket problem in our house. Would it be better for me to use that as a sump, or would it be better to use it as a re-fill station?

Thanks again guys/gals!! *celebrate

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
wow, I guess that was a bad joke... to clarify it was from tap plastics, and that cannot hurt your liver ;)
I didn't think it was going to be taken literally. :eek:

Back to the OP.

Has anyone hard plumbed a tank with a canister filter? I really want to work on this tomorrow, so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks again!

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
There should be 1/2 to 5/8 connectors (or viser versa) at Lowes, HomeDepot, Ace or any other hardware store. Take you pump (or anything else) that you want to connect and they will be more than glad to help.
If you kind find the connectors in PVC, try CPVC.

Rohn

Endl98

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2006
long island , new york
im trying the same thing in a couple of weeks, im gonna get rid of some of the tube and plumb a couple of hard lines from the filter. my problem is the height of the mag350 with the quick disconnects . it has kinked the tube at the under side of my tank . so a couple of 90* pvc parts will take care of that. if i get it done before you get a answer( fat chance ) i will let ya know.
im also gonna hook up my uv sterilizer.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Oh ok I just re read the first post about 10 time and got it. Nevermind.

The best thing to do it to use a short peice of the hose to connect the Filter to the PVC. You can find Barbed end for the PVC, Just get them in 5/8 size. I ws trying to find the part I am describing on Homedepot.com Cant. So I will use paint.............................

5 Min Later

Ta Da

I would say you need 6 - 90* Elbows, About 8 to 10 Ft of Pipe, 4 - 5/8 Barbed ends. PVC Cement, I would ask to make sure that it safe for drinking water. And then just when the Input and out put tubes to go over the edge of the tank that came with the pump. I would paint the PVC Black to hide it when you are done.

MAHA