Pods in refugium

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
I am in the process of building my own sump which will also contain a refugium chamber so that I can grow pods and macro algae. The sump will be below my main display which means the pump will be on the return side. What I don't understand is if the only way the pods can get from the sump to the main display is through the return pump, doesn't this trip destroy them? Will the fish still eat mutilated pods? I understand that an elevated refugium has an input pump and the output relies on gravity which will allow the pods to flow down back to the display but that kind of setup is impractical for me and it seems most people are using the the sump below anyway. What do you guys think?

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I think you should be ok. Like you said, the gravity feeding for elevated fuges are often quoted as the best desirable for pods, but I've also heard they can make it through pump and impellor blades just fine cause of their size. As I don't have a fuge or sump, I can't comment on personal experience, but I can say tanks with fuges are more full of pods than tanks without.