Pom Pom babies

Slick

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2008
I just noticed my pom pom crab is carrying an egg sac. I havent thought about breeding, but what should I do to ensure the babies survive. Any recommendations?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
even clown fish are hard unless u have the right conditions... basically if u wanna breed anything usually u need to have a setup dedicated to just that! no experiance with pomp poms tho :p

Jul 12, 2007
Where else?
You could set up a QT like tank and try your hand at it if you want.

EDIT: Chuck Norris RULES!

Mr. T and Chuck Norris walked into a bar at the same time. The bar exploded because it could not handle such awesomeness.

Last edited:

Slick

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2008
there is only one pom pom, been in there about a month. Would it still produce and carry an egg sac if it wasnt fertilized? I thought it was weird, maybe fertilized while at the store, and now the sac is just noticable? Dont know anything about crab babies, so...

I think I'll just leave it in the tank and see what happens. It has a really nice hiding spot that no one can get to.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Most of the time if you aren't planning to breed something you quite simply won't be ready. I don't know about pom poms in specific but normally you need some kind(s) of microscopic food cultures going and stable. Phyto, ciliates and I've even heard of bacteria in some cases. Some times (like with clowns as an example) you need to culture the food to feed the food to feed the larvae (phyto -> rotifers -> larvae AKA, baby fish). You would also need some way to catch the almost microscopic palegic (free swimming/floating) larvea that wouldn't make a ground up shake ;), so that means no pumps. There is also almost daily maintenance because when you're feeding the young you are going for a food density in the water not feeding based on how many young there are. Basically what that means is if you have a 5 gallon larvae rearing tank you'd feed the same amount for 1 young as you would for 50. That means more maintenance because of all the left over food *OR* because of the metabolic waste from the young. LOL, can't win on this one ;)!

If you are interested there are two books I would recommend. "Clownfishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson and "How To Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shrimp" by April Kirkendoll. I haven't read the last one yet (haven't gotten around to it and have to order it in) but it comes HIGHLY recommended. There is also (link->) The Breeder's Registry - Home Page Some times the info is hard to ferret out but it's still interesting.

Hope this helps you even a little :)
Chris

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I can't seem to find information on breeding these in captivity, so I assume it's not easy/hasn't been done by many. A lot of crustacean females will produce eggs, but if there's no male to fertilize them, they'll be released in a few days and the tankmates will chow down.

I've bred banggai cardinals. It's not that hard, just a lot of work. Quite a few people have bred cleaner shrimp, but that's also a lot of work and the larvae are very sensitive to water parameters. My cleaners produce eggs every month or so, but I just allow it to be natural food for the tank.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So ditto to what Lotus said about food for the tank. But I did get thinking and found this.

Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association :: Index

Near the bottom of the page is a section for "True" Crabs. I didn't see anything on the pom poms but who knows, maybe someone there has some info.

You sid it's relatively new right? a month or something like that? I'm pretty sure some species of crabs can store sperm. Like I said before though, if you aren't already set up for this chances of rearing them are pretty low.

Chris

Slick

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks, found some good info over there. Put a post up, see if anyone has any info/tips for me. Looks like they only have to mate once and can keep going.