Ponds?

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
I was thinking of having my dad help me put a pond in when we move,i know when we move were gonna have at least 1/2 to 3 acres of land and i was thinking of getting Comets and Shubunkins for it.

i'd like to have 5 Shubunkins and at least 10 Comets in the pond and i was thinking of 500 gallons to 1000 gallons.

does anyone have any ideas on how to help me figure out how many fish and how big a pond i should get?

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Bigger is better.
Comets can get to a foot in length.

I have a 11 x 8 x 3 pool here and it is room for about 5-6 full grown fish.

Also, you will need a good filtration system.
Heavy planting will also help take care of the waste.

Are you planning on using a liner or going with a plastic shell pond?

Otherr things to consider when installing a pond:

kid accessable?
predators
drainage for waste water

Dino

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Dino pretty much covered it. I'd go as big as you can afford to, if not, you'll end up spending twice as much because there is a good 90% chance that you'll upgrade it at some point.

Definitly do your research first, expecially as far as plumbing and filtration goes. Talk with anyone you can that has a pond and see what they went with and why, and then take what they told you about what they have, toss it out of your mind and look up what they have and what everyone else has to say about it before you make any decisions.

If you need any suggestions or refrences, feel free to PM/IM me. I got most of my stuff pretty cheap and I got alot of help from some people who REALLY know what they are doing. Do alot of research first and get all the help you can.

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Finding out what your local freeze line is, as stated, very important, if you plan on keeping the fish outside year round.

Is the pond going to be in-ground or above ground?

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
In ground,also i think i'll want to go with liners for the pond, i've heard they look the best but no decision yet untill i research everything.
predators shouldn't be to big a problem, i was thinking of useing some kind of heavy plastic/glass and placing it over the pond as a cover.
what do you mean by drainage for waste water and kid accessable?
I'll Find out what the local freeze line is when my family moves.

Back to researching stuff.

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
I would have serious doubts about covering the pond with glass or plastic.

When you do water changes on the pond, you will have to get rid of the water somewhere.
When you are talking several hundred gallons, this can be an issue.

One thing you need to be very careful with water and kids.
A pond dep enough for fish, is deep enough to cause trouble for a kid if they fall in.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
:\ Their would be no kids around, my parents can't have any ;-; and if they ever did i'd take the time to kid proof it and we'd be away from any town that would have kids in it so i don't think it'd be a problem ,and i'll think of something for the things that would wanna hurt my fishies i'm good with planning stuff ^^