Poofy fish

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
I don't have the energy too search this, so...

One of my male mollies is all 'poofed' up. His scales are all poofed out like a cotton ball/pinecone hybrid! :p What is his problem?

Feb 27, 2009
He as developed 'Dropsy' and it is not easily treated. Dropsy is brought on by poor water quality and is a sign of the final stages of kidney failure.

Lots of water changes are needed, but as stated, not easily treated. Much easier to prevent.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Well, I haven't done a water change in quite a while... I'll start up the 5.5g again, and use that as a 'hospital' tank. But I know he will die.

Reason: both his siblings died, too. Brother: he turned 'squiggly'- S shaped, and couldn't swim well. He eventually died. Sister: She got sucked up the gravel vacuum and got her guts sucked out. I think there is something wrong with this breed line, because all of the siblings (that I have - some were given away) have died. They are from the gold dust molly, whereas all my other mollies came from black mollies.

Anyways, I know he will die - it's in the genes :p

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
With the first two deaths, I was doing good water changes, but I haven't done a water change in a couple weeks.

These fish are the first fish i've had born in my tank, and these three weren't bred in my tank-the mom was pregnant when I got her. Just so you know. :p

So, what exactly should I do? I can start with regular water changes, but what else?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You have been saying you will get a test kit for most of this past year - in fact as I remember you again said that you would get it with your Christmas money. So IMO that is exactly what you should do.

Feb 27, 2009
These fish are the first fish i've had born in my tank, and these three weren't bred in my tank-the mom was pregnant when I got her. Just so you know. :p
When the fish was impregnated or if it was while in your care has no bearing on the poor water quality.

So, what exactly should I do? I can start with regular water changes, but what else?
Keep doing, not start doing, regular water changes. Measure your water parameters weekly with a liquid test kit. More often if you have any readings you should not have (anything other than 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and over 20 nitrate).

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Googirl I am of the personal belief that all fish tanks should get at least 50% water changes every week, regularly. I do that with all 4 of mine and (with the exception of a recent ich outbreak) they are all clean and healthy with very little work on my part.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Sorry for all of you 'perfect' fish keepers, but I have no money to get test kits, and don't intend to for a while. I have my eye on a $30 'master' liquid test kit that comes with like 800 tests for everything, like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc., but I have 8 cents in my wallet at the moment... :(

When I said I didn't breed the fish in my tank, I said that because I thought you thought that it was my fault for the bad breeding :p

And sorry if I offended anyone, I'm having a bad day...

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Don't get offended. No one here is trying to do anything but help you. If you get offended too easily then no one will want to help you in the future. Take advice politely wether you appreciate it or not, because advice is usually not malicious. BTW frequent water changes are virtually free.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
OK, thanks. I appreciate all the help, I know you mean well, but everything that happens with my fish is always commented with 'Get a test kit!' and I keep telling everyone that I just can't afford one right now. I'm really sorry for all my, umm, fretting. I just want to know how to deal with things without relying on test kits! Sorry!

Anyways, (now that I got that out of my system :p) I've heard that dropsy could be both contagious, and not contagious. Which is correct?

Feb 27, 2009
Dropsy is not a disease and is therefore not contagious. However, as it is caused by poor water conditions, fish living in the same aquarium are more likely to be affected in the same way.

Dealing With Dropsy

If you don't want to own a water testing kit, and can't get the water tested often (weekly until established, then every 2 weeks), I would just do frequent large water changes. A friend of mine is in the same boat (financially) as you are. She has 1 ten gallon tank and does a 50% water change on Thursdays and Sundays, and gets the water tested at a fish store on her way home from school on Wednesdays.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Ooh, I have a Petco nearby... They test water. I'll bring in a sample next time I go by there. Thanks! I'll keep you updated on what happens! (I know he'll end up dying...)

Is it true that as soon as the scales lift up, death is almost certain?