popping bubbles

infant340

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2003
the mitten state
Visit site
my male betta keeps on trying to build a bubblenest but everytime he blows a bubble it almost always pops rite after. rite now he has no bubbles. the air is not dry because there is fog and all the breeding signs are showing just no nest. and his mouth doesnt close all the way its always just a little bit open. help!:confused:

infant340

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2003
the mitten state
Visit site
yes i put styrofoam cup in for him. im using an air pump connected to a gangevalve and the bubbles are going at 2-3 bubbles a second but its on the other side of teh tank and surface tension is broken because plants are in teh way. i added some bubbles from another tank and he blew some bubble of his own and a couple stayed the rest popped

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
Casper seems to have that problem too. His nest just disappeared several times. But when it came close to "the moment", he'd continue to build the nest while busy doing other stuffs - wrapping around the female; picking up eggs; reorganizing the bubbles etc.

So, I guess you don't need to worry too much about it. As long as he's attempting to build nest, I guess you can let the female in with him. But - I've only bred betta once myself - so can't guarentee it'd work :)

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
is she just nipping him? if so, that's normal.
however, some females may be very aggressive, and they do have the ability to kill the male.
so keep a close eye with her. if you just see some minor fin cut, that's probably okay. however, if the fight gets too intense, you may need to separate them.

good luck!