Porcupine Puffer

Modjit

New Fish
Jan 29, 2005
Visit site
Please help i'm worried about my porcupine puffer i've recently started my new hobby of marine fish keeping and after a month of letting my filters mature i,ve purchased some fish I have two sand sifter star fish a brittle star fish a coral beauty and also Spike a porcupine puffer the problem is he is nearly always hiding underneath rocks or behind rocks is this normal behaviour for puffers or is there something i should worry about my other fish are perfectly fine they swim about readily eating well my puffer eats well at the moment just feeding him whole shrimp water temperature is fine within the green on my thermometer salinity fine nitrates within the right range ammonia great been told by the shop where i bought him that he may be bothered by the coral beauty but whenever i see them my coral beauty goes no where near him

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
not sure about the behavioral paterns of the PP, but that does not sound normal to me. what size tank do you have him in? these guys get to a good 18in so maybe he is feeling a tad cramped

either way, remember to feed him some stuff in the shell too so that his beak does not become overgrown

Modjit

New Fish
Jan 29, 2005
Visit site
Yes sorry should have told you he is in a standard four foot tank have been talking to someelse in the marine fish keeping business and she assures me that is normal behaviour for that kind of fish also bought some other fish today and he now seems to have picked up he swims alot more now thanks for the reply and thanks for the advice i will pickup some stuff in the shell to feed next time i,m in the shop by the way littlepuff i've only had him a week and a half

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Ummm....its good the porcipine is eating, if they dont its not a good sign. When they first are acclimating they willl stay near the bottom, so his behavior sounds fine.

And finally you will ultimatly need a bigger tank, or trade him in down the road.