Position of Powerheads in Cycling Tank

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- I purchased two (2) Koralia 2 powerheads for my 29g tank. The tank is still cycling and has live rock inside.

Where should I mount the power heads (low, mid, high level) on the wall and where should they be directed (towards the LR, towards the surface)?

Finally should they be on the same side or on opposing sides (as I have read from other posts)?

THanks for the help. -Matt

Jun 29, 2008
PA
My filter is mounted on the 'back' of the tank and the protein skimmer is next to it. I asume some cross flow (left to right, right to left) would work best.

Where do you have your powerheads mounted? bottom of the tank and pointing or middle/high and pointing up?

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
In my 75 I have 4 powerheads. An Aquaclear 70 that points across the top of the water from one end of the tank for exchange. 2 Koralia 2's that are on the sides pointing down a bit towards the center and a Koralia 1 at the top in the back in the middle that points down towards the back of the reef. All four run on a wave maker with short on/off alternating cycles for the Koralia 2s, a longer varied time for the 1 in the back and the 70 at the top runs most of the time. Not sure if I'm going to keep it that way or not for now seems to work pretty good. May ditch the wavemaker at some point but may not. Next week when I get my sump up and running I'll have another probably 1000 gph of flow from the returns and I'll probably get ride of the Aquaclear.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
hmm thanks for the help. i think i will put it in the middle of the tank and point it upwards so it touches the LR as it shoots upward...

Is there any typical method for initializing power heads? Or just plug and play? haha

Last edited: