positioning rufugem + Sump

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
Hi All.

Iv come to relise (should have relised this before i set anything up) that where my fish tank sites behind it is a storage area under the stairs.

i have a drawing here with 2 options for a setup. what would be the best way.

have the overflow from the main tank spill into the rufugem then have the rufugem spill into the sump/tricklefilter/skimmer beside it. or have the rufugem drilled and spill into the sump below it. or any other way???

the sump inturn will pump back to the main tank.

cheers aron.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
hmmm...well if it was me i would have two seperate plumbing systems: one to run the sump and one to run the refugium. just put a T valve after your overflow can do that. the problem with having the refugium plumed so as to require a pump in the refugium is that it tends to mince up the good critters. instead, i would try to locate the refugium so that you can set up a powerhead in the refugium to pull water into it and then set up a drilled overflow to return back to the tank. that way, all the stuff you are growing doesn't end up as puree. but, a lot of people also run it as you have setup. if oyu go that way refugium should be the first thing you come to then sump then back to tank...