Possibly dying Betta?

Tayles

Large Fish
Jun 14, 2003
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
My betta (Blueberry) has a growth that appeared on his nostrils within the past 2 weeks. It has gotten increasingly bigger and it appears to be blocking his vision. It almost looks like he has a tumor of some type. It appears to be solid. He still eats, but is not as active as he used to be. He's getting worse and I don't know what to do, I don't want him to die. He's about 1(ish) I'm going to attach 2 pictures that I tried to take of him, but they didn't come out very good. Any information on what this may be and/or how to cure him would be very much appreciated!! Thank you!!

Attachments

Tayles

Large Fish
Jun 14, 2003
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
Thanks for your response. About 5 days ago I bought some "Fungus Clear" and broke it into 4 pieces, sticking only one in his tank (As it says that one full tablet will treat a ten gallon and he's just in around a 2 gal tank.) He's becoming more active and his bump is slowly going away. It says if it's needed to apply another treatment after four days. I'm going to see how he's doing tonight and maybe put in another slice of the tablet just to complete his recovery. I'm guessing since this took care of it that it was just a fungus growth of some type. Anyone know why this happens? Could my fish have died?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If it's Jungle Fungus Clear that you used, it treats both fungal and bacterial infections. I doubt that a lump could be caused by a fungus, as fungal infections in fish are almost always on the outside of the skin, as far as I know.

I guess your fish could have died, especially as he was showing signs of sickness. I would guess that it was some kind of cyst, and possibly a sign of an internal bacterial disorder, or perhaps a wound that got infected.

Tayles

Large Fish
Jun 14, 2003
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
Well I put in another slice of the tablet and he's almost completely better. He's much more active now, back to his normal self again. He's back to eating better again I guess because now he can see his food again. Thanks for all your help!!