posting my background

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
So I have the background, but I don't know how to put it on. I used this tape/glue stuff to tape/glue it to the wood parts of the tank, but now it has fallen off so obviously that was wrong. The problem is that now my tank is full and has rocks and water and plants and fish and isn't exactly movable anymore. What do I do to get my background back on and make it STAY?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
This probably isn't the best way to do it, but I always use scotch tape in inconspicuous places. Get the four corners secure, then put little pieces around the rest of it.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Best way to do it .... although it's going to be a bit more difficult since the tank is setup . . . but you can still do it. First pull out all of the heaters, filters, hoods, etc.

Remove all of the old stuff glue, tape, etc., and clean the glass really well with alcohol. I assume your background is some kind of plastic or foil. Clean that with alcohol as well. This method won't work with paper. Trim the background to fit the glass from edge to edge and top to bottom just above the frame. You only want the background to fit the glass. Get some light oil . . . 3-in-1, or mineral oil from the drugstore.

Spread a thin layer of oil all over the glass . . . from edge to edge . . . top to bottom . . . make sure it covers the entire glass . . . lay the background on the oil and working from the center to the edge with a squeegee or credit card . . . the excess oil should ooze out the edges and bottom . . . just wipe off the excess. It will last for years and you won't have to screw around with taping and retaping, plus it looks really neat.

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
yeah, the oil sounds really cool and all... but the tank is already set up! 75 gallons, and I have a canister filter, so it's not like I've got a lot of space between the tank and the wall. There's only a few inches to work with.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
oh then just use tape, i have tape at the 4 corners on my 20 gallon tank. not the most subtle way but it does the job

i know you really dont need a picture to see tape, but its a chance to show off on of my cories haha