Power Filter and small fish

Oct 13, 2005
I have just bought a few small tetra, roughly 0.8 inches long. They can't escape the intake siphon of the power filter and seem to 'attach' to it. My tank is a 80g one and so the water flow of the power filter may be a bit too strong for them. Any help?

Sep 8, 2005
I recently had the same problem. I lost most of my baby neons that way. I also had some small angel fish get stuck as well. Most people recommended a stocking. I tried it and it clogged immediately. I took one of those nylon net thingies you wash your pots and pans with [new of course]... Rinsed it well. I unrolled it [its a round shape like a donut] and cut and wrapped it around my intake tube. I secured it with rubber bands. Use the whole pad it will be thick that's what you want. The water will flow through it. I rinse mine every few days [lots of plant debris]. It works great. I have not lost another fish and i have 100 platy, guppy and swordtail fry in there now as well. My filtration is excellent. Good luck and i hope it works for you.

Oct 21, 2005
saskatoon sk
places like home depot in there plumbing section or maybe even your pet store will have a larger end for your filter which will reduce the draw or you could use a t juction and put 2 end on the intake that way you don't reduce the amount of water going into your filter

TommyR

Medium Fish
Nov 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Visit site
newfish88 said:
I have just bought a few small tetra, roughly 0.8 inches long. They can't escape the intake siphon of the power filter and seem to 'attach' to it. My tank is a 80g one and so the water flow of the power filter may be a bit too strong for them. Any help?

Go get an Aquaclear 20 or 30 foam sponge and cut a hole in the end and slip it over the intake, that's what I do. The sponge will also act as a pre-filter.

Tom