power filter....but what to do

Sep 8, 2010
hows every body doin?

im going with a power filter for my new 29g tank and was debating on going with the bio-wheel 400 or save $20 ang go with the penguin 350 both by marineland ... any input?

thanx*SUPERSMIL

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
I dont have much experience with those brands but I ve always been quite happy with aqua clear. they are dependable and long lived . aswell as simple ( no moving stuff like the bio wheel to get stuck and stop spinning) .

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Personally, I'd go with an AquaClear 50 over the Penguins. I have an AC50 on my 29gal and it is awesome. I had a Penguin 200 on the same tank and the motor burned out overnight. Also, the AquaClear has interchangable media (sponge, BioMax rings, activated carbon, Ammonia Remover, etc), whereas with the Penguin and Emperor, you're stuck with the filter cartridge only.

The AC 50 is $40 at Petsmart. The Penguin 350 is $50 at Petsmart. The Emperor 400 is $75 at Petsmart. Heck, you could even go with the AC 70 for $60.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I use a 350 on my discus tank and a AC 30 as a back up. On my 30 I use a Penguin 170 and a smaller AC. They are both very good and have never had any issues with either. I think the AC is easier to customize, as they sell different media (Carbon, ammonia remover etc) already packaged. Most things for the Marineland stuff you have to make something that fits. I do love the bio wheels on the ML and I have custom cartridges for what ever I need to add.