Power filter vs. underwater gravel filter

fishy_foo

Small Fish
May 2, 2011
Hi,
I am in the process of buying a 45-55 gallon 2nd hand tank.
I am used to using power filters (I have an Aqueon quietflow 20). Can anyone tell me anything about underwater gravel filters? (Most 2nd hand tanks are being sold with these filters).
Thanks
~Ami

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; When I started fish keeping, undergravel filters were the norm. I used them for decades. I also used them with additional HOB power filters. I do not have any in operation righ now, but do have a couple in boxes somewhere. I cannot recall ever having a problem with a tank related to the undergravel type filter. They do not remove any detritis from a tank, so I usually have some sort of external filter in operation at the same time.

I did read in a post that a member said they were hard to clean. In my use they were never cleaned as a part of routine tank care, so I did not understand what was meant by that. I put them under the gravel and left them alone untill the tank was taken down for a total redo, usually many years later.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
The under gravel filter can build up waste under the filter plate that may not be removed by vacuuming. The newer filters that hang on the back of the tank are so much better at removing waste when equipped with a power head or two that are pointed at the bottom of the tank to kick up the waste so the hang on back filter can catch it.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; The undergravel filters that I have used did not accumulate much debris under the filter. I kept them running with air bubbles all the time. I almost always keep rooted plants in a tank and often found some roots had penetrated the grid (especially crypts). I do not use them alone any more and have some sort of filter that picks up the detritis.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I use UG and HOB both on each tank. I have aquaclear heads in each corner on the pilars attached to the UG and I have an AQUACLEAR HOB on the back of each.

The thing with UG is that you don't "clean" them, it is a natural bacteria bed. They don't work well with SA/CA cichlids or anything that digs really bad because they keep disturbing the bacteria. If you already have the plates and a powerhead I would set it up, if not I wouldn't worry about it much. I like them because I like a real fast current in my tank for my plecos. I don't have nitrate issues and my tanks have all been up and running for years.

It's important to remember that filters don't "clean" your tank, they provide a place for nautral bacteria to live that does the cleaning for you, they also catch extra food and floaters but thats about it.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Were it me, I would either go for an aquaclear 70 or 110 HOB filter or Eheim 2217 Canister for a 55 gal tank.
Filter's help keep the tanks water clean by trapping suspended particulates in the water.
They don't keep the substrate clean of fish waste or food. That's what gravel vaccuming does.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeah given the price of the 70 I always recommend the 110, it's a bit much for your tank but it would be plenty large enough should you decide to upgrade to a larger tank. I absolutely LOVE the Aquaclear HOB's they really are the best around. :)