Power out due to ice what do I do?

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
You need to keep the water oxygenated, this is the biggest issue, If you can get your hands on a battery powered airpump it will do the trick. If not keep stiring your tank water every so often for a few minutes to agitate the surface and allow for gas/oxygen exchange.

To help out with lose of heat you can cover the tank with towels or if you have a gas stove you can warm some water and place it in jugs and float them in the tank.

Oh ya and as well do not feed the tank at all.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm guessing since it's an ice storm that you can't go out and buy battery operated filters...I wouldn't feed them cuz you can't really do water changes with the new water being so cold. I don't know if a blanket tossed over the tank would help keep it warm or not but you can give it try.

Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
The real question here is: How did you get online???*laughingc

But, they should be fine for an hour or two. Just keep the towels on/around the tank to help keep the heat in. Use warm water bottles if needed. You won't have a serious problem unless your power is out for hours and hours and they USUALLY don't let the power stay out for that long. Best of Luck!

valbogert

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I am at work! lol
I have been checking the news and the area where I live is out right now and has been for about 5hours. The fish I have are very hardy. They have been through a lot. Needless to say I am quite attached to them.

Oct 15, 2006
If you have a gas water heater, fill some washed water bottles with it, and place it in the tank. Wrap the tank with towels and cloth or whatever. If you cannot get your hands on a battery air pump, if you have a basketball air pump or a syringe or whatever, attach it some way to your air line and pump air in. Make sure that you have a check valve.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
But you need to keep the tank closed as much as possible. Every time you open the lid, you're letting heat out. And don't add hot water to the tank to keep it warm, there's no point. Like everyone's saying, put in some water bottles.