Power Outage!

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I just found out that I'm having a scheduled power outage tomorrow from 9am to 2pm. What the H, right? It gets better! I'm not going to be around!

How long do would be the longest time a tank should sit still? I have a UPS that should work for that outage. I'll just have to take down my firewall.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
lol the fan wont work for water movment but a battery powered pump will work fine.... a few years ago after hurricane wilma i lost power for 2 weeks and kept things goin with a bunch of battery powered pumps (like the ones used in a bait bucket) not sure about the UPS
HTH

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well, I can run a few computers off of it for i'd say 15 to 20 minutes. Maybe I'll just run the return pump off the UPS? No lights should be ok for a little while? I think my timer has a battery backup battery so it shouldn't loose the times I have set.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
definitly dont worry bout the lights but id say just hook up what ever pump u have thatll consume the least power to keep it going as long as possible

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
it means there guna be working on the lines in his area.... now that i think of it that happend over here like 6 months ago and it was only for like an hr or 2 and nothing bad happend to any of my fish (corals will be fine anyways since we ship them all the time with little oxygen)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have a bunch of battery powered air pumps with airstones that I use. I lost power last winter for about 7 hours and didn't use any supplemental power and things were fine but I was pushing it I think.......these air pumps are about $15 at Meijer or other pet stores..the ones I have are programmed to come on when power is interrupted and go off when power is resumed. They plug in and have batteries.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Power is restored and no major issues. I just had a friend stop over my house and take a look. The UPS I have is more than enough to run the skimmer, return, etc. I just need to get a dedicated one for my tank.

I might just look into a smaller one like you have Lorna. Instead of a big thing I use for my server.

I did get a leak in my skimmer though. It got cracked when I moved and up until now it has been just fine. I think I lost about 1 gallon or so it wasn't too bad. Hopefully the salinity didn't change too much though... I guess it's time to start looking at a new skimmer.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am seriously considering investing in a gas powered generator that will power more than just my tanks in the event of a failure. I think I just have too much invested in these not to spend a few hundred on a good generator that will serve multiple purposes......As my husband just informed me....the used car in the living room has turned into a new toyota corolla

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
That's definitely something to consider when you put as much money into a tank as we do. They aren't that expensive either and they would server multiple purposes.

I think your tank would be worth a tad more than a new corolla!

Anyway, I got back and I skimmer didn't crack... Somehow the sump overflowed. I have enough room in my sump to hold all the extra water, but somehow my ATO float value rose up when the water did and it got hung up. So i had my full 5g ATO bucket empty on the floor and the tank. Salinity didn't change so I guess not much went into the tank. I think the power must have turn on/off a few times.