Powerhead in 20 Long?

perpacity

Small Fish
Dec 28, 2005
Riverside, Ca
I am planning on upgrading from my 5gal AGA bow tank to a 20 gal long due to increased funding. I plan on running a communal tank with:

2 cory cats
1 oto
3-5 harlequin rasboras
2-3 guppies
2 or 3 cherry shrimp

Should I purchase a powerhead for this setup?

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Is there any particular reason you're asking about a powerhead? Do you plan to run a sponge filter or something through it?

If it's just to create some current, you've no reason to have it in mind. Any suitable mechanical filter that you choose will give ample current for oxygenating the water, and none of the fish you have listed on there require any serious supplemental current that would necessitate a powerhead.

They're generally for reef systems as wavemakers, or to run certain sponge filters or UGFs. Other than that, no reason for one.

Use the money on something else. Hope that helps.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Wow, that's one of the better ones I've heard this week! Very amusing.

Check out what is perhaps the best thread I've ever started: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35971

As long as you have a good filter on your tank, there's little need for any further water movement. Just out of curiosity, what will you be using as a filter?

I have a 20g long and it's probably the favorite tank out of my whole collection. I like your stocking choices; just perfect for a tank of that size. Good luck!

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Actually I run a canister and a HOB in my 20g long. But there's no real need for it in a normal aquarium. I run peat filtration and other water treatment.

With this sized tank you actually stand at the line between canister and HOB. It really depends on exactly what you want. In your case I think I'd recommend the HOB. No need to waste money or go through the hassle of a canister if your tank doesn't require any seriously specialized filtration.

I hear good things about Aquaclear. The Eheim liberty I hear mixed reviews, and it's pricey. So I recommend Aquaclear.