Powerhead Placement

Aug 18, 2004
Sonora, CA
Visit site
Alright...i got my books in, and I'm starting to learn everything that the LPS told me wrong...and there was a lot of it. (IE: They told me that i didn't have to run the protien skimmer for a month after buying the tank...he gladly sold me fish, and 7 of them died...probably could have been avoided IF my protien skimmer was running. I guess he wants me to get some new fish from him...HAHAHAHA!!) Anyways, I had a quick question about powerheads that I haven't been able to find an answer to int he books.

How high in the tank wall should they be placed? And how many of them should I place in my tank? It's 76 gallons, 48" wide...and I forgot the other dimensions...but I think it's 36" tall and 24" deep. I was thinking 2 of them kitty corner to eachother (That and I have the return line from the sump which creates a pretty nice current right smack in the middle of the tank) But should they be placed right at the top of the tank? In the middle? or toward the bottom?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
While a protein skimmer will help remove pollutants, your tank was still cycling and the fish deaths were for the most part inevitable.

Powerheads can be placed anywhere in the aquarium. I personally place them at the bottom. This way I can cover them with rocks. With this being said my return is at the top so I have enough surface agitation. You have a pretty good idea of where to put them.