Powerhead question

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
im going to go get a powerhead today and some salt to mix for my tank and i was wondering what kind ( how much gph ) i should get i found this one for pretty cheap..
Specifications:
Flow Rate: 300 gph
Outlet: 3/4"
would this be ok for my 55gal on should i pick up 2? its a Penguin 1140.. please let me know if this would be ok or if i should get a different kind.. thanks
~ Jim

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
what if i use 2 of those kind that i listed .. or would it be better to use 2 bigger ones.. let me know how many and what kind you guys use so i know what to look for when i go shopping! thanks again

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
SEIO is an awesome type of powerhead. I only have one powerhead on my 45, a SEIO M820.....if I wasn't dumpin the tank I'd upgrade to a 1200. They are definitely worth every penny IMO. And to help with that, they are safe. I almost lost my yellow tang to an old Penguin style that didn't have a guard. It would've literally sucked the life out of him.

You will not be disappointed with SEIO.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i just picked up the penguin 1140 and when i got home i read some more posts and im about to order the SEIO also.. i think ill run both of them.. the SEIO says it puts out about 620gph i think it said.. anyways thanks for the info on that pump guys! *celebrate

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The flow form a SEIO is wide and 'slow' but works, carries better than that from a regular powerhead that is narrow and 'fast' but quickly dissipates due to turbulence at the edge of the jet of water.

SEIO's are hardly expensive. It pays to research before you shop.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have two 820's on my 75 and they provide enough flow that I have no dead spots and everything moves nicely. They do not rotate and are not good with wavemakers as they don't take kindly to stop and start. For wavemakers the maxijets are great.....for general flow and movement pick the seios. I think I would like to upgrade to 2 1200s

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
its the SEICO 820 that im gettin so with that and the Penguin ill be pushin about 1120gph.. seems like that should be pleanty for my 55gal. only think i don't like about the penguin.. does it have to be used w/ a undergravle filter b/c mine didn't come w/ a suction cup or anything and it pulls water from the bottom and i don't want anything to get clogged or stuck to the part that pulls the water up to spray out! i would be kinda mad if i came home and seen a fish stuck to the powerhead!!!! ill be getting my tank either Sat. or Sun. ! can't wait.. what's cycle time on a new tank w/ about 15gal. of allready cycled water? still 4-5 weeks? let me know what you guys think.. ill post some pics of my new LR in a hr or so... thanks for all the help so far! you guys have been great