Powerhead question

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i have a penguin 1100 powerhead and my question is since im not using a undergravel filter where would be the best place to put it since its made to sit in a tube because it pulls water through the bottom and sprays out the top.. i don't want any fish when i get them to be swimming by and get stuck to the bottom of the powerhead! it didn't come w/ a suction cup or anything to hook it to the side of the tank.. do alot of you guys use a penguin style w/ out a undergravle filter? any advice on what to do / where to put this thing would be great! thanks again for all the help!
~ Jim

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Penguins usually come with mounting brackets and suction cups. If yours didn't, you should be able to get a mounting ring for less than a dollar from your LFS.

One of the powerheads I have in my display is similar in design to the penguin. It has the same conical base that would sit in an UGF uplife tube. I'm not sure of the brand or power of mine (got it from Walmart) but I've never had a fish stick to it (I even used it in my old Freshwater display). I think that's the point of the design. One fish can't possibly cover up all the holes on the cone so noone is in no danger of getting stuck. Anenomes and seaslugs etc might be a different story.

Oh, if you only have the one powerhead at the moment I would have though you want to mount in near the top of your tank to agitate the water surface.

BTW check out the link below for a free catalogue from Dr Fosters & Smith if you haven't already. They're pretty good at sending it out every 4 or 5 weeks and it gives you a good baseline for what things should cost. It has some good articles in it too.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/catalog/index.cfm?ref=3319&subref=AV

Last edited: