Powerhead Question

Feb 15, 2007
i am starting a 10 gallon saltwater fish tank and i want to buy a AquaClear powerhead but i don't know which model is right for the 10 g tank??

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Well it depends on what species of coral you are keeping. If the tank is going to not house coral a turnover rate of 10-15x is sufficient. However if you do keep coral you will want more water movement. Two model 20's(126gph each) should be more than enough in my opinion for a 10g housing Softies and LPS. AquaClear powerheads have a large profile especially for a 10g so you might want to look into Microjets or Minijets which are much smaller.

What are you planning on keeping in this tank?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
just to give you an idea i only have 1 powerhead on my 10 gallon i had 2 an took one out cause some of my mushrooms were getting blown around too much... btw that 1 ph is only 265 gph and i also have a HOB filter

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
yeah my 900 maxi-jet works great

300gph is pretty high but its all depending on the types of live stock your going to have.

if your going to have a lot of sand then 300 gph will get moved and kicked around into mountains. no matter where u aimed it.

Feb 15, 2007
i am planning on keeping clownfish in the tank and i am not planning on keep coral cuz i don't have good light?? how many clownfish can i keep in the tank and where can i get Microjets or Minijets powerhead?? Thank you

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
FishFriendly said:
i am planning on keeping clownfish in the tank and i am not planning on keep coral cuz i don't have good light?? how many clownfish can i keep in the tank and where can i get Microjets or Minijets powerhead?? Thank you
get the powerhead that has the lowest wattage use most of the time its quiet and builds less heat.

u should only keep clowns one clown in a 10g but people usally have 2 small ones in 10gs make sure the water is in good condition.

get some PC lights (which are the best for small tanks and are a lot cheaper then MH)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
you could get away with one other small fish thats gona stay small ..... in my 10 i have 1 clown and one watchman goby but you never see the goby since hes paired up with a pistol shrimp underneath the rock ...if you wanna see my tank just click on the link in my sig to get an idea

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
FishFriendly said:
A simple PowerCompact fixture with a total wattage of 60-80 watts you should be able to keep Softies and LPS without a problem.

I would personally only house a single Percula or Ocellaris Clownfish in a 10 gallon tank.

Here are a few sites where you can purchase Microjet and Minijets:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18558/cl0/waterpumpsmini?viewType=Category

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2004+113040

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium...stems_maxi-jet_mini-jet_micro-jet.asp?CartId=

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have my heater in an old aquaclear hob filter that I removed the baskets from hanging on my 20g and it works great! It is a 50w heater and seems to do the trick