powerhead ?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
As is usual with these stupid rules, the one saying you need 10times your tank volume in gph works much better in big tanks than for small. Basically you need to get decent flow everywhere, and in a small tank that might result in what seems like an excessively high gph.

Also it will be higher if you use powerheads than tunze/seios or closed loop returns as the flow from (narrow bore) powerheads dissipates so quickly

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
in my 10 I had about 500gph and it was way too low, cyano came in until I changed the placement of the powerheads.
For my 37 I just bought a seio 1100 and with the hob skimmer I am hoping that there will be good water movement. I suspect that I will have to get another powerhead.
Just don't underestimate how much flow is needed.

amd

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
north carolina asheville area
should be fine, i would recommend 3 smaller ones over less, more pwerfull ones... i think its easer to not have dead spots with more pionts of origin of current, but thats me

i have a 12 gallon nano with 2 300 gph p.h. and 1 400 gph and a 275 gph
the 400 runs my intank sump/skimmer

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
I had a seio 620in a 29g, it put out some flow, but I wanted more, like an additional 820- you dont want any dead spots and you want water to circulate as much as possible, aresgod speaks truth, our tanks are no where near real reef flow.

You could proabaly get away with that flow, but youre gonna find you might want more than that.