Powerheads in a FW tank...

Oct 29, 2005
Hey all...

Quick question. I'm changing over from a SW setup to FW. In my old SW tank, I had 2 powerheads (Seio Super Flows 620 & 820) to provide current/flow. Should I use one of these in my new 75G FW tank? I'm going for a community consisiting of cardinals, an angel, some guaramis, hatchetfish, some cories and maybe another small school of rasporas or something. From everything I've read it seems if anything I should be trying to reduce flow, not increase it, and in fact im thinking of going with a Spray bar for XP3...

I apprecite any info. THnx!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Your fish won't really appreciate the current, although some FW fish do. In freshwater, you don't want dead spots, but you shouldn't have too much flow, unless you have fish from fast-flowing rivers.

By the way, angels and gouramis aren't the best tankmates. If the tank is big enough, there's room for them to live separate lives, but they will tend to pick on eachother.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I have a blue/opaline/threespot gourami in with angels in a 6-foot tank, and they really don't get along well. Luckily, there's enough space for everyone, but it's not an ideal situation, or one that I would recommend to others.

To be honest, I think you're better off choosing either angels or gouramis.