Powerheads Only?

Sep 15, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
I am setting up a 29 gal. salt. I have an emperor 400 from when it was freashwater and was going to use it again. After thinking for a bit, could i just get two power heads that moved enough water and then saved my 400 for another fresh water setup. I would hate to use the 400 just for circulation purposes. Also, how many GPH would i need to circulate for a 29 gal.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
online...there are a lot of different places...just depends on what kind of skimmer you want

as far as water movement you will want a minimum 10x the water vol per hour...so 300gph between all your powerheads

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I Think the cheapest why to go would be to get a bak pak. I use 2 on 3 40g tanks and they work great. also you can get them used at your lfs for like $50.00. they work very well and are very simple to use.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
That is definatly not the cheapest way to get a skimmer. I can think of about 10 different skimmers cheaper then the backpack.
However the Backpak is a very good protein skimmer and might be worth investing in.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I also have a queen skimmer brand new for sale that i would part with for 25.00, as well as a basically new turboflotor that has a defect in the outflow tube so it leaks, but if your good with plastics i think it would be fixable, however if your going to spend the money on LR and all that stuff and want to stock heavy then i would suggest investing in a good skimmer
Brahm

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
What I was trying to say is that you will be glad you spend the money on a bak pak as apose to a prizem skimmer cause we all know that a bak pak will never do you wrong (IF YOU MAINTAIN IT). you will probably end up buying 2 prizm's befor a bak pak goes.

and if you dont want to get a sump then bak pak is the key.