prblem

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It means you need to do water changes fast. Nitrite is pretty toxic (more so in acid than alkaline waters), but that's still too high. The correct and only acceptable value is zero. At the end point of a typical cycle this is converted to less toxic nitrate.
What did you finally do for filtration? You may be having a 'learning experience'.

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
It's probably quicker to buy dead rock (some kind of holey shelly limestone) and seed it with a few pieces of live rock from your lfs. Buy quicker I mean less months. At least this way you can pick one or two good pieces out.
Otherwise keep going with the water changes, carbon and polyfilters. Live rock and low fish densities are a lot less hassle. I'm planning to do marines again as I think it'll be less hassle than my current freshwater tanks

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Just a couple of thoughts here....if it was me, I would ditch the skilter. I have known people who had them, I have read posts from people who have them and I have never heard of anyone getting one to actually work!
Check out some of the internet sites, there are tons of skimmers out there that don't cost an arm and a leg and that really work too!
The texas holey rock or whatever name you want to give it, is a safe rock that can be rinsed well then simply added directly to your tank. Won't hurt a thing and here's a bonus too. If you buy a piece that has holes going deep into the rock but small enough that fish can't get into them, you will be providing a perfect spot for amphipods to breed and live in. I have a large texas rock in my tank and whenever I look in the tank at night with a flashlight, there is always a party going on in that rock! Tons of huge amphipods running all over the place! Serving beer and having drunken fights.....well, okay, not the beer and fights but you get the idea;)
Instead of the garf grunge, do you know somebody that has a saltwater tank that could give you a couple of scoops of their sand? Or you could order an starter kit from one of the on-line pet stores......

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Well get back on the case with the water changes. Your cycle is still nowhere near complete. If you don't want to ditch the skilter at least try to get it actually working. Also shops open on Sundays so just buy at least a few pounds of cured live rock to get you some nitrite -> nitrate bacteria. Don't just hang about writing on the internet about it - that won't fix it. Don't hum and hah - 20 dollars worth of suff that looks as holey and algaed as possible to get you going. In your situation I wouldn't bother buying online to save a few bucks, it needs to be cured and you need to see it today.
People like live rock based filtration because it actually works, and it will work for you too. Otherwise you'll be at this point next week , next month .....