Pre-Newbie Questions

treyes111

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2008
Albany NY
Good Morning and Happy New Year!!!!

I had a few small tanks growing up (10 gal), and a fairly nice 29 gal in and shortly after college. A few years ago that 29 didn't make a move, and I lost all of my equipment and supplies. Since then, I have been waiting on the right time, and yesterday it came.

I now have a 55 with a dual florescent hood and stand right here next to me, thanks to an early b-day present from my girlfriend (she's great, isn't she?)

Now comes the fun part.... I need all new equipment. At this point, I am aware of cycling the water, so for the most part, I am not thinking of the maintenance aspect just yet (nets, gravel vacs, etc) because I figure I have at least a month for the water to cycle to collect these things. In my years, I have learned that a better plan leads to a better product, so I want to do this once, and the right way.

My goal is to realistically decorate, and sparsely populate with smaller size fish (I've always liked Neons and the similar). The following is what I think I need, and I would ask for suggestions and ideas, and of course additions

Filter(s): I want to go with at least 2. My initial idea was a HOB, and a UGF with power heads. I've read that the UGF may not be the best of ideas because they can be difficult to clean. I've read canisters are a good idea, but I don't know much about them. What is a good combination, and what sizes/flow rates should I be looking for so they work well together? I know the more the better, but at what point is overkill?

Heater(s): what size/wattage should I be looking for? would 2 heaters on opposite sides of the tank be better than 1 large unit?

Water testing: I'll need a new kit, is there a good one to cover all my bases?

I'll also be picking up gravel/rock/plants soon, so they can cycle with the water.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Tom

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Welcome! Sounds like you're doing a lot of planning which is really good to start! As you cycle your tank, you do need to have the gravel and filters on it as it will not cycle without them. The water is not what cycles. You may want to take a peek at the link below in my signature to make sure you're really clear on how to cycle a tank. As far as filters, I would suggest going with two HOB filters on a 55. Perhaps two heaters on either end, or one larger one in the middle. I wouldn't suggest going with a UGF, they are outdated and IMO worthless unless you set up a reverse flow.

I suggest you think carefully about what color gravel you pick, go with a more natural darker color, your fish will look brighter. I suppose we still have time to talk you out of the neons...so that's another thread. ;)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I now have a 55 with a dual florescent hood and stand right here next to me, thanks to an early b-day present from my girlfriend (she's great, isn't she?)
Thats a keeper.

Heater(s): what size/wattage should I be looking for? would 2 heaters on opposite sides of the tank be better than 1 large unit?
I run 2 either 100w or 150w's in my 55gal, working like champs and have had no problems thus far. Visatherm Stealths. And yes IMO, 2 heaters are better then 1.

Water testing: I'll need a new kit, is there a good one to cover all my bases?
A Freshwater master test kit, the liquid drops kind. Not sure what brand exactly, but they are usually called master test kits. Ammonia, Nitrates/Nitrites, pH, etc....it covers them all.

Oh yeah and welcome to MFT!

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I agree with missfishy don't use the UGF, I started with one in my 55. A while later I had to tear the tank down, and start it over...it was horrid under the filter plate. 2 filters and 2 heaters (get 2 of the same heater) will work wonders in that tank.

I only have 1 HOB filter in my 55 right now and it works well, but 2 would be SO much better. My heater holds it down, being in the middle...but I'm sure that it will get stressed out and go down on me.

-Jay

ps - Welcome to the tank

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I personally prefer the API Master Test Kit, which uses the drops. Stay away from the dip sticks. Far away...

As for heaters I use Stealths in three of my tanks. Two of them have been running since February and with no problems yet. Personally, I would probably go with one heater in the middle if I had a 55g since my house stays reasonably warm through out the year (but does it ever really get cold in Tejas????).

Welcome to the forum!

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
I would recommend having 2 150 watt aqueon heaters, along with two HOB power filters...And before you go cycling your tank you need to have all gravel and plants in. For fish you should get cory-cats! Also, will it be a planted tank? Lastly, you should get a API Master Test Kit for your water testing.

treyes111

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2008
Albany NY
thanks everyone.

looks like tomorrow will be a shopping day. I plan on at least getting the gravel and rock I plan to use, maybe some driftwood. Filters and heaters I am going to look at and compare some prices online. I guess I also need a BIG bucket I guess. I'm anxious but not in a rush, and don't plan on even starting the cycling for a while. I plan on having it 100% set up, minus the fish.

There is a Petsmart and a Petco in the area as well as an aquarium shop that I have yet to visit. I hate the thought of the prices at the big chain stores, but I am hoping to get lucky.

oh, and I plan on doing plastic plants

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Large Fish
May 31, 2003
Visit site
I use a hob and UGF with power head in my 20 gallon. It works well but I probably wouldn't use an UGF again. My thought process was that the power head would pull a large amount of water through the gravel enhancing the bio filter but with HOB filters with bio wheels now days you really don't have to worry about it.

I would just go with two hob filters or one hob and a canister.

treyes111

Small Fish
Jan 1, 2008
Albany NY
welp, it has begun.....

I ran across Albany and back yesterday morning/afternoon to look at a few stores and shops to compare my options and prices.

When the GF got home in the evening we did the majority of the purchasing, and this morning I began the setup.

10 or so trips up the stairs made me rethink wanting to put it up in our loft, but I think its the best place for it. Now I have a reason to use a big portion of living space in our apartment that has sat pretty much neglected since we moved in.

I also decided that I would need 2 more taller plants to help hide the heaters, so I went back to the pet shop. I got those 2, but somehow about 7 more little ones got into my basket as well. hummmmm........

the results and details are here : My 55 gal Community Project