Pre planning stage

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well, hopefully i'll be able to get a tank started in the next few months. I'm probably not going to start with a large tank, but rather smaller. I'm thinking about a 30 gallone with 10 gallon sump. I still have 2 of my 250 watt MH, but would I need both of them on a 30?

I guess the first step would be to find a LFS....

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
yeah, definitly going to get a drilled tank. I'm going to start this tank right. I will probably just use my bakpak2 that I have now along with my ATO. I know I have enough PH for flow. My LR is dead now, but I'm thinking with a little live stuff I should be ok. I have about 80lbs of it! I haven't opened the buckets I put them in yet so I can image it stinks.

Anyone know of a LFS in State College, PA?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm trying to decide if I just want to do a 30 gallon or go right for a 75. I definitly want to have a good selection of coral, but don't really want a lot of fish. Just a few cool peacefull fish. I'm planning on moving again in 3 to 5 years, and dont' know if I want to move a 75 or not.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Ok, electric is now down in my basement! Going to get the flooring this week. I'm going to Petco today to check out fish tanks. I'm thinking about a flat back hex or bow front tank around the 65 gal size. I didn't realize they came that big in that form. I know it's going to be higher, but I want to have more than 12" of width. I felt so bad for my fish in my old 55. I hope petco has a good selection of tanks so I can get one and start making the stand.

EDIT:
Ok Petco had crap. Anyone know a good sites for tanks? Specifically for pre-drilled tanks?

Last edited:

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Awesome, congrats! Good call on getting more depth, I've got a 45 gallon that is going to be a pain to scape because it is only 12" wide. I'm waiting on the funds to get mine drilled, which I was told by quite a few people to definitely get it drilled because it would be much easier in the long run. Make sure to post lots of pics :p

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
After having a 55 that was 1 thing I wanted to change if I ever got a new tank. I was glad i found a place that would pre-drill the tank for me. For some reason where I live I'm limited to 1 salty LFS and they don't even carry much. I hope to build the stand this weekend so I'll get a pic or two.

Last edited: