Pregnant?

Mindy

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2005
Austin, TX
So I have a couple dalmation mollies and a couple balloon mollies. When I got the dalmation mollies, one of the balloon mollies greatly welcomed one of them with some lovin'. Well lately it hasn't been acting right. It's tail is kinda dragging and just not acting right. How can you tell if it might be pregnant (other than a big belly)? Do they usually have symptoms before their belly gets big? Is there anything I need to do to keep it alive, or a certain type of temp?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sometimes they become sluggish, but honestly if its that big of a change in behavior you might want to watch the other fish and check your water conditions to make sure its just the pregnancy. Do you know that its a female?

Your temperature in the tank needs to be steady...probably between 76 and 79.

If the only fish you have in the tank are mollies then do you have salt in the tank?

Mindy

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2005
Austin, TX
Well all the other fish seem to be fine. I'm pretty sure it's a female, the pet store lady got one male and one female dalmation mollies. It's sort of hiding away from the rest of the fish. Not eating very much. I also have 2 silver hatchet tetras and 5 zebra danios. My temp is about 77-78 now.

I did have salt in it for a while but my plants started to deteriorate.

Mar 11, 2003
Usually, whenever you get a female livebearer 99.9% of the time its pregnant. And it seems like you are describing behavior that fits a pregnant female. I finally had to seperate my female guppies from males, even though I like the babies.

Alexa