Prizm Skimmer

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I finally got myself a skimmer for my tank, I went with the Prizm skimmer standard. I got it all hooked up and it seems to be silling a lot of bubble into my tank, is this normal for a while when it is first set up? I have the flow control set very low. Any ideas? Thanks!

JasonF

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2003
UK
Visit site
My skimmer when I first set it up had loads of skim in it, but it was rather too watery and yellowish, and it would fill up within about 6 hours.. I just kept adjusting the flow rate, it is now nearly down as low as it can go,but I started it on nearly full air..... Is the skim the right colour?

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
The skim is white foam. I have it shut off right now, I just put some phytoplankton. I think I might have it adjusted correctly, but there is still some bubble in the aquarium from it.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Go to reefcentral.com, or aquariacentral.com and ask these questions on these forums as I don't think is uncommon with prizms. Also mail prizm - they should know, this is one of the common complaints about them. I think they also sell a bubble box thing that goes on the outlet

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
One issue with prizms is that you will need to make daily adjustments to the flow valve in order to keep a constant flow of dry foam. It will also take a between 1 - 2 weeks for it to breakin. Use this period to get familiar with the skimmer.

Brian

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I guess that makes sense, I figured out why it is foaming so much, I was adding something that foams when the water is stirred to my water changes that declorinates the water and adds oxygen to it, I will stop using it as the salt does this anyway.