Probably shouldn't have BUT...

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I couldn't leave this guy in that store any longer.. there is a little store down the road that i don't like going to b/c the owner is rude but last week i stopped in and seen a mandarian .. it was eating brine so i went back today he was still there and they feed him again and once again he ate.. their tanks are getting so nasty there its not funny some are covered in red slime algae the others are green.. this guys tank was over run w/ what i believe was diatoms.. couldn't let him die there.. at least if he don't make it he has a better chance with me.. let me know what you guys think.. pic's arn't the best gotta get a macro lense.. u can click to get a bigger pic.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well as stated your tank is a bit young but with a fuge and a good supply of pods supplemented with cyclopeeze and quality mysis (like piscine energetics) you may have a chance......at least he is better off than in the store...is he a blue or green mandarin. Apparently the green are easier to get eating. Do your best and if he starts to look thin then get on here and maybe we can help......try and find a source for pods...

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
yea he is a blue/green.. after i got him in the tank i target feed him some mysis i do have the piscine energetics kinda as listed above.. its more expensive but might as well have the best food right? he did gobble some up and went over some of my rock and hes picking away.. i agree my tank is young but the rocks arn't and i do have a fairly large pod population beleive it or not.. i read the thread where i beleive it was kevin trying to keep one and he was keeping pods in jars so im very well aware of what im getting into.. no he wasn't expensive as stated either only 20 bucks.. i think with the reaserch ive done and since he is eating brine and mysis he will be ok.. ill keep you updated.. thanks

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Jim try to get him away from brine as they are like fish doritos no value to the fish...keep up the mysis & clyclopeeze these are high in protein and fats.....just what the doctor ordered.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
ill have to order some clyclopeeze.. is it frozen or flake? which is better if it comes in both? im puttin in a order to Foster/Smith this thursday.. i know brine isn't very good for fish that's why i got mysis.. thanks for the info

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Lotus said:
He really is a cutie! I'm not surprised you couldn't resist the urge to give him a better life.

"Better life"... 75gal., 30 gal. sump, 100lbs of LR, 70lbs of sand is a pretty good set-up for a Green Mandarin. It sounds like he has done his home work, and like he stated... "knows what he is getting himself into". And if he already has him eating mysis things are looking posative.
Keep us posted!

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i got some cyclopeeze today, its more of a powder than food it seems like.. i also got some spectrum pellets he doesn't really seem to interested in either maybe the cyclopeeze a tiny bit.. ill keep u guys updated