Proper PH

Jun 15, 2009
I have a new 55gal set up. No live plants, has river jack gravel, no other rocks. Aprox 2 days after I set up tank my fish started dying in my 30gal. I removed all fish from 30 and put in 55. Figured i would give it a shot being I had a prob with 30. It is 2 weeks later and all fish are still alive, but my 55 has remained a constant Ph of 7.6. I figure it must be my tap water. I do not want to use PH down because it is garbage, lasts for maybe 2 days and goes back up from past experience. All else is good on 55 except for PH, Biologically it shoul be ok being I have 2 bio filters on it and plenty of fish for 2 weeks. Is proper PH a reliable product or is it garbage also?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
pH is easy to increase naturally, but the safest and best way to lower pH is with RO water. However, in almost all cases, maintaining a stable pH/hardness will be your best bet. A pH of 7.6 is really good, and I wouldn't bother with it at all. Fish can easily adapt, plus there's far less work on your part. A pH is maintained by a buffer (the hardness), and no pH altering product can remove this buffer successfully. pH is inconsequential--hardness dictates the pH level, and hardness will influence fish health far more than pH will. I've stated it before, and I'll state is again: pH means nothing when it comes to keeping fish; it's an old idea that just won't go away.

I've written a bunch of stuff about pH and hardness over in the plant forum. You might drift over there and check it out (or search it). I think you'll find everything you ever wanted to know and then some. Besides, if you can create an environment for healthy plants, you can certainly keep healthy fish. :)