Proper way to do a water change ?

Bridish05

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Dekalb
www.facebook.com
This is a silly question, but considering I've been doing water changes by draining the tank down to half way with a juice pitcher then filling it back up again with new water, and I don't want to stress out my two prego gups...I'd kind of like to know how I shouldbe doing it, becuase i'm pretty sure that's not the right way...

thanks
Bridish

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Make sure you have a water treatment for both chlorine & chloramine.
Best way is to add the treatment and mix it prior to adding the new water to the tank.

A better way to water change is to use a siphon.
That way you could always throw in a gravel vac session.

Aug 22, 2006
I also use a net and scoop up debris that flies around if my gravel vac doesn't get it all. Which it never does.

I've always heard to only get rid of 20% at a time, which is slightly less than 1/4. I guess if your water is really dirty you can do 50%.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
In my opinion the best way to do a water change on a small tank is with two buckets. For a 10 gallon tank, 3 gallon painters buckets work well. You can get them from your local hardware store, just make sure they don't get used for anything else

Start with one bucket empty and the other bucket full of water that has been treated with dechlorinator, and is roughly the same temperature of the tank.

Using a siphon tube, drain 2-3 gallons into the empty bucket, then pour the fresh water back into the tank. You can then use the water you took out of the tank to water your plants (they'll like the nitrates ;P )

~JW