Protein Skimmer and Filter

Derpeder

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2006
I always assumed you needed both a P Skimmer and Filter but a guy recently told me that you just need the Protein Skimmer for a salt water fish only tank.

Was that guy blowing smoke Cause he confused me. I'm a newb in salt water so help me out.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You really only need the filter for water movement, assuming you have live rock. The bacteria and such in the live rock provides the actual filtration. Protein skimmers are great for getting out nitrates, too (which just LR can't get rid of). So, as long as you've got a few powerheads for movement, you don't need a filter.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
biological filtration is performed by the live rock and the deep sand bed will provide denitrification if it is properly maintained and set up. Protein skimmers remove disolved organic compounds through foam fractionation.....

Here is a great article on skimmers:

SkimrArt

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
glad to help! that is the best way to learn.....and that website is a fountain of great information on all subjects....I think I have read just about every page there.....and it became invaluable when I was setting up my first tank