Protein Skimmer Help Needed!

stu1210

Small Fish
Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
I was looking for some help please!

i am new to saltwater and have just aquired my first set up!

Its a Jewel 300 with sump!! It was a previously used system so all my cycling levels are fine!!

My question is this! My protein skimmer is a CPR Bakpack!

Now i have a good flow of bubbles against the intake of the water but the level doesnt seem to be high enough to reach the collection cup!

Should water be spilling into the collection cup or just foam!? at the minute i have neither!?....

Any advice!! Searching the net i have noticed that the powerhead that is currently being used isn't the one originally supplied with the skimmer!! The ratings of the pwerhead are the same as the Rio 600 orignially supplied! i don't know if this has any effect but i thought i'd just add it!! and advice would be greatly appreciated!! cheers!!

:confused:

stu1210

Small Fish
Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
thanks for that! i have already pushed the cup down as far as it will go!! its seating on the top if the inlet pipe now!! but still no foam!! is it likely that it is the power head then!!??

I am also usuing an additional air pump though wooden air blocks for extra bubbles!!..

stu1210

Small Fish
Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
Yeah its the bak pak 2 as shown here!! the cup is on the right side for sure!!

this is it: http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquariumproducts/cprskimmers.asp

i think the power head isnt rated highly enough TBH it is also running with an air pump with air stones to increase bubble!

the power head currently using is the Jewel 301k

any idea's! i'm gonna get the Rio 600 powerhead and try again! what do i do if this doesn't work!?...

(also im based in the UK so the US/Canadian site is no use to me, shipping is too expensive!! cheers)

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's a juwel 300 with a sump added, or using the internal filter box as a sump?
Can you get the previous owner to show you how he got it to work. It sounds like it isn't foaming high enough. Also phone tmc

stu1210

Small Fish
Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
Thanks guys, i have ordered a new pump..

also from the CPR website its says that the biological load may not be sufficent to generate any waste! This is more than likely true as i had to add 30 Imp. Gallons of fresh RO water to the system!! and it may take over a week to generate waste foam!

Wayne it is a Jewel 300 with a sump added!!

Please pardon my ignorance!! lol

When my new Rio 600 does arrive is it best to run this alone or would you still recommend using the additional air pump and stones for extra bubble!?....